Monday, April 11, 2005

the passion

Yes I'm talking about the movie by Mel Gibson. The title is not irrelevant as opposed to my previous posts.

The first time I watch that movie was a few days ago at girly-me's, jan's, place. How should I put it? Straight to the point? I'm a sadistic bastard but not void of emotions. Yeah, that about summarises it all.

With all the hype for that movie, the papers, the magazines, the people around me telling me how gory it is, Kenneth said he looked away!, I kind of expected more. I didn't take my eyes away from the screen, not a single moment, and damn it looks real. With every new torture device introduced, I first register shock but after a while, the trashing gets monotonous and it's the same thing repeated again and again more or less. That's when I start thinking how the hell they did it, it's either great props or fantastic CGI or a lot of both! You might say I'm not focusing on the essence of the movie but trust me, I did that.

Quote Moses(Kenneth's friend, not the one in 10 Commandments):
I cried like a baby. Because it happened to someone we know and he did it for us.

I didn't cry nor tear but I did have, in jan's words, a rare look of disgust. I will not deny that Jesus is a great man, never did. But to me, he is just a Great MAN. I applaud his sacrifices. If I were in his shoes, I'd cry bloody murder and beg for my life, I probably wouldn't have done it for anyone, probably..., and I'd think of other ways to prove my point. That's simply because I'm only a simple person living in this world typing this whatever-you-call-it in the comfort of my room.

Like I said before, I do not belive in Jesus and I still don't. I do not believe that he's the only way to God and I stand by my views.

As for why I was able to not turn away when so many did, I'll attribute it to the fact that after hearing all the stories of how gross and bloody the movie was, I set myself a pretty high gore threshold. I was braced to be hit by a tsunami in blood and gore. What I saw was bloody but not enough to blow me away since I'm mentally prepared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home