Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Flesch-Kincaid & Fog.

I was at SquareBrain.Net sniffing for updates when I though why not read something instead of just looking at the comic there? And so I did... And it's there that I read about the Flesch-Kincaid readability test!

To put it simply, it's an algorithm that rates how easily understood an article, book, website, etc. is based on different various factors like word count, no. of syllables per word etc. I also found a link to a working test on SquareBrain.Net.

Can you blame me for doing this? The score is upon 100, higher is better, easier to read. In random order...

"i'm so bored... somebody kill me now..."
Reading Ease: 81.24
Fog Index: 7.49

The chinese poem was taken into consideration, I wonder what effect it's got on the score...

:: Total Mental Annihilation ::
Flesch Reading Ease: 80.20
Fog Index: 6.63

Me & Kenneth's flagship project. Still proud of it, though some might think we're mean and shit like that.

| Falls on Me |
Flesch Reading Ease: 77.28
Fog Index: 6.30

Many words with more than 3 syllables, I figure that's the reason.

u're as bored as me...
Flesch Reading Ease: 85.34
Fog Index: 5.42

Kenneth's blog... his will is there...

queen of the dead
Flesch Reading Ease: 85.11
Fog Index: 5.76

hate mail not included in test... at least I don't think so.

Note: The Fog index is another score on its own, it gives an estimate of the number of years of education one would need to understand the text. In the table below, it is also compared with various well-known existing publications.

Fog Index Resources
6 TV guides, The Bible, Mark Twain
8 Reader's Digest
8 - 10 Most popular novels
10 Time, Newsweek
11 Wall Street Journal
14 The Times, The Guardian
15 - 20 Academic papers
Over 20 Only government sites can get away with this, because you can't ignore them.
Over 30 The government is covering something up

Note: The above scores are taken while this post is being written. So the score may vary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home