Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Steven Mead

I finally got my hands on some of Mead's recordings and I must say, I'm a little disappointed. Don' get me wrong, my decision is not final and is subjected to change if I can hear more of his playing. I haven't heard about Mead until last year, after playing the euphonium for more than 6 years! That's 3 years AFTER I heard of the so called best Trombonist, Christian Lindberg, that's weird considering that I'm a euphonium player.

I had this version of Horovitz euphonium a long long time ago, in fact it's so long ago when I got it that I forgot the source and who the soloist was. I naturally went straight for the Mead version of the piece and it's really kinda disappointing, probably because I expected more of him with all the hype around his playing. I also prefer the interpretation in the old recording I have.

So much for stuff most people wll find boring.

Vittorio Monti

The Italian Vittorio Monti scored the most important success of his professional life with this Hungarian-style Czardas - which was originally composed for either violin or mandolin and piano.

It was soon arranged for all kinds of ensembles, for it epitomises for many people the essence of the old Hungarian dance, with its juxtaposition of fast and slow music. Few people remember Monti today, but everyone will be familiar with his music here - making him a true immortal.

(source)


And here I am nice enough to present you with, non-other than, the euphonium(B.C) score, cause I hate reading eupho scores in T.C. The original one I got was for the Eb Tenor horn and I had to transpose it. I also up it by an octave on certain passages with reference to the trans. by Eric Wilson.

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home