Friday, August 26, 2005

The Carnival of Venice

The damn piece just keeps ringing in my head, on and on like a bad code stuck in an infinite loop. All this while I had the Herbert Clarke version of it, which IMHO is much easier than the one that's ringing in my head now. And then yesterday, I found out that the version I liked best is actually the Arban's version. I had Arbans since I was, what, 15? I was never quite a fan of it because it's so damn thick and everything just struck me as a turn off from page 1.

I saw the score of it in the trumpet Arbans Junichi was using and started playing it. I hate treble clef. I hate Bb euphonium scores. They should jus write everything in concert pitch. I played it anyway and decided that it's nice and since the trombone & euphonium version of Arbans just arrived a few days ago, I got it from the library. It kicks ass!

The opening solo alone is much nicer than the Clarke version I have. The theme is just so nice and fun to play. Then the rest of the variations are just overwhelming. There are some variations that are similar to that in Clarke's version with a few varied notes here and there. The final variation is still as impressive with added challenge in the form of the octave skip at the accented notes that bring out the melody. When correctly executed, it will sound like 2 instruments playing together with one playing the cheap simple melody while the other is running. With that in mind, I've decided to change the score a little, to hell with the octave skips. It sounds nice on a trumpet but on a euphonium, the octave down just makes it sound weird, even when done correctly. I just don't like the idea of really staccato low notes below the stave, I feel that it doesn't give credit to the quality mellow dark tone of the low euphonium notes. So I actually prefer the Clarke interpretation of the final variation. However I prefer the Arbans' notes. Putting the best of both worlds together, I'll attempt to play the Arbans version transposing the "melody" an octave up like that in Clarke's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home