Thursday, May 26, 2005

Soccer :: Sport/Obsession?!

Liverpool wins AC Milan in this morning's, my local time, match of the Champions League finals. Surprise that I know? You have all the reasons to be. I'm not a sports person, I like to stay in doors where I can sit on my couch and watch TV all day, ok that's not all I do but you get the idea. How is it that someone like ME can know such news? How about this, I stop playing 1945 Strikers 2 on the PS2 sometime after 1 am last night, because of an immense itch on my right middle finger, insect bite. I go to sleep like anyone would at 1 am and then at around 3 to 4 am, I don't know which since I'm asleep, I was awaken by a combination of a heavy down-pour, violent winds and screaming! I would probably have thought that someone got soaked in his sleep or was forced with powder or what ever had I not listen carefully, the screaming is from not one but a few sources but they all echo the same word, GOAL.

Fucking insane if you ask me. up to 22 men running around a huge, by my standards, field after a ball trying to get it into their opponents' net. The rules are pretty simple, no weapons, no running too far into enemy territory, no hands, coloured cards rule. I seriously do not understand why people are so obsessed with it.

I don't remember soccer being so "hot" when I was young, before soccer betting was legalised, then again I was probably too young to know anyway. Perhaps that is the driving force behind this "sport". Money. But this only explains the obsession of those who watch but don't play soccer. Why do people play soccer and enjoy it? To run around, get tired and dirty, be pushed and kicked if you're unlucky. I can never understand why people put themselves through all that.

Then there're those soccer games they come up with for various consoles. Winning Eleven, Fifa, etc. W? T? F? I tried playing it, I fared ok for someone who never played the actual sport and I must say, it's fun!

So what is driving force behind this "game"? It didn't take me long but I soon found the real cause for soccer obsession. Like all ball games, soccer uses, you guessed it, a ball. Invented first by, the greatest lover of balls, men! Then there's the kicking and I brings me back to those pre-ten year old days where it's fun to be kicking other's testicles. Yes guys do that kind of shit for fun, I'm surprised a large number of us are still alive. A blow, not "that" kind, in the nether regions can be excruciatingly painful. So it all traces back to our carnal instincts. To win. To kick his balls!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home